B. H. Suits
Ann Arbor Huron High School 1973
BA (Physics) - Carleton College, 1977 (with honors).
MS (Physics) - Univ. of Illinois (Urbana), 1979.
PhD (Physics) - Univ. of Illinois (Urbana), 1981.
Thesis: "Confirmation of McMillan's Concept of Discommensurations in
2H-TaSe2 using NMR," Advisor: C. P. Slichter.
1976 - Internship, Argonne National Laboratory (6 mo).
Mossbauer Studies of Hydrides and other Materials.
1977 - Environmental Research Inst. of Michigan (ERIM) (6 mo)
Computer modelling for remote sensing of vegetative canopies.
1977-78 - Graduate Teaching Assistant (U of Illinois).
1978-81 - Graduate Research Assistant (U of Illinois).
NMR and other studies of charge density wave materials.
1981-82 - Research Associate (U of Illinois).
NQR Studies of the charge density wave material NbSe3.
1982-1985 - Research Associate (U of Penn).
NMR of ionic conductors, icosahedral alloys, NMR imaging of solids.
1985-1989 - Assisstant Prof. (Michigan Tech Univ.).
NMR imaging of materials, NMR of icosahedral alloys.
1989-1998 - Associate Prof. (Michigan Tech Univ.).
NMR of nanophase materials, NQR imaging.
1990-1995 - Head, Department of Physics (Michigan Tech Univ.)
1996-97 - Sabbatic Leave at the Naval Research Laboratory, Wash. D.C.
NQR detection of materials.
1998-present - Professor (Michigan Tech Univ.)
NMR imaging of quad. broadened resonances, NQR Materials Detection, Zeolites
Courses Taught (MTU)*
* 3 digit courses are
quarter system courses prior to Fall 2000,
- PH1090 - The Physics Behind Music
- PH204 - Gen Physics I: Classical Mechanics (Lecture and Recitations)
- PH2100 - University Physics I: Classical Mechanics (Lecture)
- PH205 - Gen Physics II: E & M (Lecture and Recitations)
- PH206 - Gen Physics III: Optics, Thermo,
Modern (Lecture and Recitations).
- PH2100 - University Physics I
- PH2230 - Electronics for Scientists
- PH2260 - Honors Physics III - Electricity and Magnetism
- PH2400 - University Physics IV: Waves and Modern Physics
- PH310 - Gen Physics IV: Modern Physics (Lecture and Recitation)
- PH3110, PH3111 - Theoretical Mechanics I & II
- PH316&317 - Electrical Measurements
- PH337 - Electronic Instrumentation
- PH3480 - Modern Physics Lab
- PH405 - Qualitative Methods in Physics
- PH470 - Intro. to Solid State Physics
- PH490 - Special Topics (most recently, neural nets)
- PH505 - Graduate Journal/Presentations
- PH532 - Graduate Intro. Solid State Physics
- PH561 - Graduate Special Topics (most recently, Physics of NMR)
- PH650 - Advanced Experimental Physics
4 digit courses are
semester system courses starting Fall 2000.
"Magnetic Resonance Detection Coil that is Immune to Environmental Noise,"
U.S. Patent #6,054,856.
"Probe for detecting a transient magnetic resonance signal, wherein the
Q of the probe to the Q of the resonance signal is relatively large,"
U.S. Patent #6,420,872.
"Nuclear Quadrupole Resonance (NQR) method and Probe for Generating
RF Magnetic Fields in Different Directions to Distinquish NQR from
Acoustic Ringing Induced in a Sample," U.S. Patent #6,522,135.
"Substance Detection by Nuclear Quadrupole Resonance using at least
Two Different Excitation Frequencies," U.S. Patent #6,900,633.
"Radiofrequency Surface Detection Coil," U.S. Patent #6,924,644
To Suits Page
To MTU Physics Home