The Michigan Tech Computer Science department allows you to design your own CS degree which has a specific focus or "application area." This page is designed to give you ideas for which courses you may want to take if you were to build a Computer Science application area in graphics, virtual reality, or another field of your choosing. This degree will allow you to apply for jobs which computer scientists and programmers might traditionally apply for, but will also allow you to market yourself as having additional expertise in the focus area that you select. If you are interested in pursuing this option, you should talk to the CS academic advisor. Additional information can also be found on the web page for the CS undergraduate program.
Courses related to game design, game development, virtual reality, and digital art
In addition to the core computer science curriculum, you may want to consider taking one or more of the following courses if you are interested in game development, virtual reality, or digital art. If you find any errors or omissions in the list below, please contact me.
- Audio production - FA1662, FA1664, FA1702, FA3730
- Introduction to Digital Media - HU2642
- Graphic and Information Design - HU2645
- Advanced Topics in Media - HU4642
- Immersive virtual environments - CS5641
- Computer Graphics - CS4611 - Learn how to develop real-time 3D programs using OpenGL.
- Advanced computer graphics - CS5611
- Human-Computer Interactions - CS4760
- Husky Game Development Enterprise - Husky Game Development - Can be taken repeatedly every semester at Michigan Tech.
- Humane Interface Design Enterprise - Can be taken repeatedly every semester at Michigan Tech.
- Artificial Intelligence - CS4811
- Linear algebra (useful for real-time graphics) - MA2330
- Computer Networks - CS4461
- Software Process and management - CS4711
- Software Quality Assurance - CS4712
- Senior Software Engineering Project - CS4791, CS4972
- GPU and Multicore programming - CS4496
- Sensation & Perception - PSY4160
- Experimental Methods & Stats - PSY3000
- Cognitive Psychology - PSY4010
Courses by department
- All Computer Science courses
- All Math courses
- All Humanities courses
- All Psychology courses
- All Visual and Performing Arts courses
- All Electrical and Computer Engineering courses
- Psychology - Cognitive and Learning Sciences department
- Sound design - Visual and Performing Arts department
- Art minor - Visual and Performing Arts department
- Communication, Culture and Media - Humanities department
- Applied Cognitive Science and Learning Sciences (graduate program)
- List of majors offered by Michigan Tech